Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop!

The lovely Sarah Wylie tagged me in the Next Big Thing* Blog Hop, which is a good a reason as any to update the blog. 

What is the working title of your next book?

The Opposite of Dead.

Where did the idea for the book come from?

I have no idea. I was trying to rekindle my love of writing at the time, which was stagnating after some disappointing projects. I remember wanting to write a story about grief and loneliness and love.

What genre does your book fall under?

YA contemporary.

What actors would you chose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

I hate to be totally lame, but I seriously have no idea. That said, if you crossed Milo Ventimiglia in Fergie's Big Girls Don't Cry and the guy in Taylor Swift's Trouble, you'd have a pretty good idea what The Boy looks like.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

April Westingham has 355 days left to live.

Will your book be self-published or be represented by an agency?

It's not quite ready, but I'm planning on querying it later this year.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

What I like to think of as The Opposite of Dead 1.0 was written (on and off) over a couple of months in  the middle of 2010. The first draft of The Opposite of Dead 2.0 (it was totally rewritten) took about 6 weeks in the second half of 2011.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver and Hold Still by Nina LaCour.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Before writing it, I spent a lot of time thinking about the question, What would you do if you were told you only had x number of days left to live?

What else about this book might pique the reader's interest?

The poem The Old Astromer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams plays an integral role. In particular, the well-known lines: Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

I'm meant to tag five people, but rules were meant to be broken, so I'm only tagging 2: Kat and Corey, who just happen to be two of my favourite people.

What has everyone else been working on?

* I prefer the term "Unsigned Hype." Just like 50 Cent in his day.

9 comments:

  1. AHHH this gets me all excited about TOOD! And Zen... :)

    And thanks for tagging me! This'll be fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that title and the beautiful poem that plays a role. "I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night," sigh, that is just so gorgeous and moving. This sounds like a book I will want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh Milo Ventimiglia... I'm hooked! And I'm with Tricia, I love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote. And THE OPPOSITE OF DEAD sounds fantastic. A cross between HOLD STILL and BEFORE I FALL? *adds to wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, yeah, you totally won me over by referencing The Old Astronomer. I have that line tattooed on my back, so if you need to use me for promotional purposes, I can be your human billboard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of your story.

    Right now I'm working on a rewrite of a story I wrote two NaNoWriMos ago.

    ReplyDelete