Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hit me baby one more time.



"Let us ponder the mysteries of the universe."


(I realise the title makes so sense, but I have a six-week-old baby. Cut a girl some slack.)

If you follow me on Twitter you'll already know that I finally had my baby back in October and have been coming to grips with my new life as a mum. And sleep deprivation. Oh my god, the sleep deprivation!

Obviously my priorities have changed. These days any free time I have goes towards working on revisions/drafting (and procrastinating on Twitter) so things like blogging/reading blogs have slid right down to the bottom of things to do.

(Seriously. I've been meaning to write this post for six-weeks!)

Now most of you are probably looking at the total number of posts I've done for 2012 and rolling your eyes. Yes, posting on this blog has slowly decreased over the last 2 years, but I've always tried to keep up with my friend's/favourite blogs. But now? I just don't have the time.

And it's got me thinking: when I first found the blogging world back in 2008, I was obsessed. It was my favourite form of procrastination. I posted regularly. I was reading dozens of blogs. So what happened? For me, the answer is Twitter. I know it's not for everyone, but I love how everything is much more immediate, how you can have conversations with your friends/authors/agents/random crazy people. Twitter has well and truly replaced the blogging world for me.

So why keep the blog going? Well, I hope that I'll eventually have more time to return to it at some point in the future (in about 18 years) and I think blogging still has advantages, it's just that I don't have time to be as involved as I once was.

Basically what my sleep-addled brain is trying to say is, I'll still be here, but not as much. And I hope to come back. One day. Oh, and join Twitter. All the kids are doing it.

P.S. How cute is my baby? Seriously? Cutest baby ever or what?

P. P. S. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Make sure you eat and drink and be merry!

9 comments:

  1. Your baby is seriously cute! (and the lack of sleep isn't going to last forever). Have a merry first Christmas with your family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sleep deprivation does get better, I promise. I'm impressed that you actually manage some revision time with a six-week old. It takes me a few months to get back to writing. Your baby is adorable. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Jade! Cute little guy! As someone who rarely got any writing done when my kids were little, I applaud you for working on your novels at all. Get some sleep. Eventually he'll sleep 11 hours straight and you'll feel like a real person again.

    I'm on Twitter but I rarely visit. So yeah, I can see why I need to go on there more often! It does seem like the future of social media will be FB/Twitter/Pinterest. I'm waiting for them all to buy each other out and be one entity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally adorable baby. Seriously. So I suppose you get a pass on blogging for a while, especially since we can all stalk you on Twitter. :)

    And I'll be honest, for half a second when I read your post title I thought you might be announcing a second pregnancy. Then I would have had to come to Australia to hit you upside the head--I had a friend who did that and I think it finally drove her to the loony bin when #2 arrived. No sleep, EVER!

    And I know I've said it before, but congratulations! And even better, you've made it through the first two months. They're the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all...CUTEST.BABY.EVER. (Besides mine, of course, which is in all reality not still a baby but always will be inside my head.)

    And a very huge congrats on being a new mum! Such a cool and amazing journey!

    As for the blogging...totally agree! I've noticed since I found Twitter my blogging has been getting more and more infrequent. It's just easier. And you can fit in 120 characters between your sleep deprivation. :)

    Enjoy every moment with your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby? Where have I been?? I want to squish that little face. Congrats, Jade!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely seriously cute baby. Definite congrats, too! Don't worry about keeping up with your blogging and blogosphere stuff for now--that seriously cute baby is more important!

    ReplyDelete