(The beach walking is optional.)
Here's the thing: Over the years I've met a lot of really cool people and made some amazing friends. I have had a number of critique partners/beta readers over that time who have helped me in ways that I can't even begin to articulate. I am a very lucky girl. That said, over the last year or so, it's become clear to me that my main writing interest lies in contemporary/character-driven stories rather than the fantasy/paranormal stuff that I was writing when I met most of my crit partners. At the present, only one of my CPs writes contemporary.
Which brings up to the purpose of this post: I'm on the look-out for a new (additional) crit partner who is as obsessed with contemporary YA as I am.
Unfortunately, I'm an awkward, insecure kind of person, so this post feels very much like I'm saying PLEASE BE MY FRIEND (Seriously. Be my friend.) but I'm not sure how else to go about it as all my other crit partner relationships just kind of evolved, which is probably the case for most friendships. It is possible that this post will be greeted by a symphony of crickets and I'll be all SADFACE, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right?
So. I'll tell you all what I'm looking for and if you think that you might fit the brief, you can email and we can go out for drinks and a movie. Or not. We could just email. I'd be fine with that, too.
WHAT I WANT IN A CP!
- Someone who reads/writes in contemporary YA. (Some of my favourite book titles are under the tab that says BOOKS if you'd like an idea about my tastes.) (You can write/read in other genres, too, but I really want someone who knows the contemporary genre well.)
- Someone who is working towards being published. I need someone to help push me towards my goals.
- Someone who is at a similar stage, writing-wise. So basically, you've been writing for awhile, you have experience with giving feedback, getting ready to query/querying now. (I'm hoping to query my current project in the next few months.)
- Someone who is really honest/isn't scared to give challenging feedback. I'm a big girl, so I can handle the truth (YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!) about what isn't working etc.
- Someone who is okay with an excessive use of ALL CAPS. Obviously.
- Someone who isn't put off by the odd naughty word, smexy scenes, messed up characters, and lots of kissing. (I'm talking about the writing here, just to be clear.)
- Someone who has the time to read/give support.
On the flip-side, I am usually very available (even when I'm busy) to give support, send crazy emails, commiserate and all that fun stuff. I am also a very honest (but kind) reader and I like to give very detailed, thorough feedback.
I've also been told that my accent is adorable. Unless you're an Aussie as well. In that case, it's awful.
Obviously this is quite specific, so there's a good chance that this isn't going to work, but that's okay. I have a stocked liquor cabinet that can console me.
Also, you can find out a little bit about my current project here, and when I say a "little bit" I'm not exaggerating, but I don't like to share too much online while I'm working on a story, but it should give you an idea.
If you think you could be a good fit, email me at jadehearsvoices AT gmail DOT com. Otherwise, enjoy the crickets!